Call to Code Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Contest entries require access to internet. Contest open between 8.00 AM GMT and 11.59 PM GMT on 25th November 2015 with final round taking place on 9th December 2015. Open to ROI residents aged 13 to 18. Permission from parent or legal guardian required. One entry per person.
Sponsor is Google Ireland Limited, Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin 4, Ireland (“Sponsor”).
These terms and conditions (the "Rules") apply to the Call to Code Contest sponsored by Google Ireland Limited (the "Contest"). The Contest is a skill based contest where participants must complete a series of logic puzzles and programming tasks within the given timeframe via a real time competition platform hosted on the contest website located at www.calltocode.ie ("Contest Site").
1. ELIGIBILITY: Contest is open to legal residents of Republic of Ireland who, at the time of entry: (i) are aged at least thirteen (13) years of age and no older than eighteen (18) years (ii) are enrolled in a pre-university or secondary school in the Republic of Ireland; and (iii) have access to the internet (the “Eligibility Criteria”). Directors, employees, officers, interns and contractors of Sponsor, Marden-Kane, Real Nation, Codeforces and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective advertising and promotion agencies, representatives, and agents (“Contest Entities”), and and their immediate family members (parents, siblings, children, spouses, and life partners of each, regardless of where they live) and members of the households (whether related or not) are not eligible to participate in this Contest. All Participants aged under 18 years of age must have the written consent from of a parent or legal guardian in order to be eligible to participate in the Contest.
2. HOW TO ENTER AND PARTICIPATE: To enter the Contest, participants must visit the Contest Site on 25th November 2015 between 8.00 AM GMT and 11:59:59 P.M. GMT (“Round 1”) and follow the instructions for developing code that solves the given task (“Code”). No late entries permitted. There are two age categories (the “Age Categories”) for the Contest: (i) Juniors: participants enrolled in 1st to 3rd year; (ii) Seniors: participants enrolled in 4th/Transition to 6th year. The top 20 scorers in each Age Category (as assessed in accordance with the Judging Criteria) will advance to the final round to take place on 9th December 2015 at Sponsor's location in Dublin. Each entry must comply with the following requirements (“Entry Requirements”):
LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. Answers are void if they are in whole or part illegible, incomplete, damaged, altered, counterfeit or obtained through fraud.
All answers will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of registration, and the participant may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder for that email address. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned to an email address by an internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email address for the domain.
3. JUDGING: Ranking of the participants will be based on most problems correctly answered. The more answers submitted, the greater a participant’s chance of increasing their score. The top 20 scorers in each Age Category will advance to the Final Round. If there is a tie in Round 1, time taken to answer the questions will be considered and the 20 participants in each category who took the least amount of time will proceed to the Final Round. If that is not sufficient to break the tie, random selection will be used. If there is a tie in the Final Round, time taken to answer the questions in the Final Round will be used. If that is not sufficient, Round 1 score and/or time will be used. If that is not sufficient, a decision will be made by a panel of judges as determined by Google. The decision is at the judges’ discretion and is final (the “Judging Criteria”).
On or about 27th November 2015, the qualifying participant(s) of Round 1 will be selected and notified by telephone or email to participate in the Final Round. If a qualifying participant does not respond to the notification attempt within five days from the first notification attempt, then such qualifying participant will be disqualified and an alternate qualifying participant will be selected from all eligible entries received based on the Judging Criteria to advance to the Final Round.
On December 9th, 2015, the winner(s) of the Final Round will be selected and notified in person at the event. Except where prohibited by law, each winner may be required to provide any supplementary information and/or documentation within 15 days of any request by Google. Failure to do so will result in the winner forfeiting the prize. Google may select another winner based on the Judging Criteria in the alternative. In the event the winner is a minor, his or her parent or legal guardian must provide any supplementary information and/or documentation as may be requested by Google.
- Participation: Each participant submitting at least one (1) correct and complete answer will receive a participation certificate.
- Round 1 prizes: Up to 40 Makey Makey units (approximate value €50 each).
- Final Round prizes: (i) third place prizes for up to one participant in each category of Juniors and Seniors will be credit to be redeemed in the Google Play Store to the value of €50 each; (ii) second place prizes for up to one participant in each category of Juniors and Seniors will be credit to be redeemed in the Google Play Store to the value of €100 each; (iii) first place prizes for up to one participant in each category of Juniors and Seniors will be 1 Chromebook (approximate value €250 each); (iv) teacher prize for the most students registered in each category of Juniors and Seniors will be a Chromebook computer lab for their school, which includes 10 Chromebooks for each winner (approximate value €2500 each).
Odds of winning any prize depends on the number of eligible answers received the skill of the participants. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent for prize(s) is allowed, except at Google’s sole discretion. Google reserves the right to substitute a prize, in whole or in part, of equal or greater monetary value at any time.
The prize(s) will be awarded within approximately four weeks of notification, subject to the provision of any supplementary information and/or documentation requested by Google.
The prize(s) may be subject to restrictions and/or licenses and may require additional hardware, software, service, or maintenance to use. The winners will be responsible for use of the prize(s) in compliance with any conditions imposed by such manufacturer(s), and any additional costs associated with its use, service, or maintenance. Contest Entities have not made and Contest Entities are not responsible in any manner for any warranties, representations, or guarantees, express or implied, in fact or law, relating to the prize(s), regarding the use, value or enjoyment of the prize(s), including, without limitation, its quality, mechanical condition, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose, with the exception of any standard manufacturer's warranty that may apply to the prize(s) or any components thereto.
5. TAXES: In order to receive a prize, potential winner(s) and his/her parent or legal guardian must submit the tax documentation requested by Google or otherwise required by applicable law, to Google or the relevant tax authority. The potential winner(s) and his/her parent or legal guardian is responsible for ensuring that any applicable tax laws and filing requirements have been complied with. Failure to provide such documentation or comply with such laws may result in forfeiture of the prize.
6. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: By submitting a Code in this Contest, the participant (and their parent/ legal guardian) warrants that he/she is the owner of the Code and the intellectual property in it and the Code is his or her original work. Any intellectual property infringement, misuse or plagiarism of another person’s work (as determined in Google’s reasonable opinion) will result in immediate disqualification and forfeiture of eligibility to receive all recognition and prizes. Each participant (and their parent/ legal guardian consents to his/ her Code being used in the manner set out in this agreement, including but not limited to, for the purposes of processing entries to the Contest without any further compensation.
It is acknowledged that Google may transfer any of the participants’ Personal Information outside of the European Economic Area and further understood that participants may be contacted by Google in relation to future contests or other communication should they opt-in to receive them.
Participant has the right to request access, review, rectification or deletion of any personal data held by Google in connection with the Contest by writing to Google at this email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. PUBLICITY: By accepting a prize, participant agrees to Google and its agencies’ use of his or her name and/or likeness and Code for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
9. LIABILITY : To the maximum extent permitted by law, each participant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Google at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the participant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein.
10. DISQUALIFICATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any participant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules may result in the immediate disqualification of the participant from the Contest.
Google reserves the right to disqualify any participant from the Contest if, in Google’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the participant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other participants, Google, or the judges.
Google further reserves the right to disqualify any participant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest or Contest Site.
11. INTERNET: Contest Entities are not responsible for any malfunction of the Contest Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed Codes or entry materials due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the internet or at the Contest Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit a participant’s ability to participate.
12. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS: Google reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest at any time for any reason. Any attempt by a participant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Contest Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Google reserves the right to seek damages from any such participant and his/her parent or legal guardian to the fullest extent of the applicable law. Googles decision on all matters related to this Contest is final.
13. NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a Code into the Contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either Google, or the Contest Entities. Submission of Code in connection with the Contest is voluntary and not in confidence or in trust. No confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract is established by participants participation in the Contest.
14. No recourse to judicial or other procedures: To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or to any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are excluded and it is acknowledged and agreed that all such rights are waived.
15. GOVERNING LAW: The Contest is governed by English law and English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute arising in relation thereto.
16. WINNERS LIST: You may request a list of winners between December 10th 2015 and but before May 31st 2016 by writing to Google at this email address email@example.com or sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Claire Connelly, Google Ireland Limited, Barrow Street, Dublin 4.